Springtime Lentil and Chard Soup
Springtime Lentil and Chard SoupRed chard and red lentils make for a vibrantly colorful fiber- and protein-rich soup, perfect for the early spring.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2/3 cup finely chopped celery (1 or 2 ribs)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped leek (white part only)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 quarts reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 4 cups chopped red chard leaves, stems removed
- 1 1/4 cups dry red lentils
Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the celery, leek, onion, shallot, and garlic and cook for 5 to 10 minuets until onions are translucent.
Add the vegetable broth, chard, and lentils, raise heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes until lentils are just ender, butt not soft (do not overcook the lentils).
Nutrition Information per serving: Calories: 94
Fat: 2 g (18% calories from fat)
Protein: 7 g (25% calories from protein)
Carbohydrates (net): 9 g (57% calories from carbohydrates)