Current stock expires Feb 28th 2021. Please plan orders accordingly.
A Kurzweil + Grossman Formula
Age-related changes in sex hormones contribute to prostate disease. Testosterone levels decline after age 40, while dihydrotestosterone (DHT) and estrogen levels increase. DHT stimulates cell growth and thereby contributes to prostate enlargement, while estrogen inhibits DHT elimination, producing the same effect.
Western countries that emphasize animal-based foods such as red meat, dairy, and eggs, have a higher incidence of prostate cancer. Diets rich in fruits and vegetables, on the other hand, help protect against prostate disease.1 TRANSCEND's Prostate Support contains a special blend of vitamins, minerals and herbs that work together to support prostate health.
Saw Palmetto is a small shrub native to the southeastern United States, whose berries have been used by Native American Indians for centuries to maintain healthy urinary function.
Other Ingredients:Hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, rice flour, magnesium stearate and silicon dioxide.
ALLERGEN WARNING:CONTAINS SOY (BETA-SITOSTEROL).
CAUTION:Do not exceed recommended dose. Pregnant or nursing mothers, children under 18, and individuals with a known medical condition should consult a physician before using this or any dietary supplement.
Suggested Use:Three capsules to be taken daily with meals as a dietary supplement, or as directed by a healthcare professional.
TRANSCEND's Prostate Support contains 90 veggie capsules per bottle. TRANSCEND's Prostate Support is equally effective when taken with or without food, however, if your digestive system is sensitive, you may want to take your supplements with meals.
The main action of saw palmetto is to block the 5-alpha reductase enzyme from turning testosterone into DHT.2 There is also some evidence that saw palmetto may serve as an aromatase inhibitor blocking the conversion of testosterone into estrogen. Historically, saw palmetto has been used to support healthy urinary function, maintain a healthy prostate, and relieve menstrual cramps and acne.3 It also has been found to be useful as an appetite stimulant and thyroid enhancer.
Permixon is a standardized saw palmetto extract that is used extensively in Europe. In a French study, Permixon was compared to Proscar (a prescription 5-alpha reductase inhibitor). The two compounds were equally effective on 1096 participants over 26 weeks. None of the studies to date have shown any significant side effects or toxicity from saw palmetto.4 Occasionally, mild abdominal cramping is seen when first starting the supplement. Saw palmetto use does not interfere with measuring PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen), a marker for prostate cancer. The recommended dosage is 320mg/day.
Stinging nettle and Beta-sitosterol are plant compounds that help maintain a healthy prostate.5
Selenium is a trace nutrient that is essential for prostate health. The recommended intake is 200 micrograms per day. Some scientific evidence suggests that consumption of selenium may produce anticarcinogenic effects in the body. However, the FDA has determined that this evidence is limited and not conclusive.6,7
Vitamin E may assist in maintaining prostate health. Selenium and Vitamin E work together as antioxidants and help support healthy cell function.
Zinc is used more in the prostate than in other body parts and helps enhance prostate health.
- James R. Hebert et al. 1998. "Nutritional and Socioeconomic Factors in Relation to Prostate Cancer Mortality: a Cross-National Study."J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 1998 90: 1637; doi:10.1093/jnci/90.21.1637.
- Gordon AE, Shaughnessy AF. "Saw palmetto for prostate disorders." Am Fam Physician. 2003 Mar 15;67(6):1281-3.
- G. S. Gerber. 2000. "Saw palmetto for the treatment of men with lower urinary tract symptoms." J Urol. May;163(5): 1408-1412.
- F. Debruyne et al. 2002. "Comparison of a phytotherapeutic agent (Permixon) with an alpha-blocker (tamsulosin) in the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia: a 1-year randomized international study." Eur Urol. May;41(5): 497-507.
- Hirano T,M Homma,K Oka.Effects of stinging nettle root extracts and their steroidal components on the Na+,K+- ATPase of the benign prostatic hyperplasia. Planta Med 1994; 60(1): 30-33
- A. J. Duffield-Lillico et al. 2002. "Baseline characteristics and the effect of selenium supplementation on cancer incidence in a randomized clinical trial: a summary report of the Nutritional Prevention of Cancer Trial."Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. Jul;11(7): 630-639.
- 2001. Selenium and vitamin E cancer prevention trial (SELECT): Questions and answers. National Cancer Institute. Oct. 29. Available at http://cis.nci.nih.gov/fact/4_20.htm.