A Kurzweil + Grossman Formula
Mood Support has been reformulated. It no longer contains SAM-e due to indications that the ingredient is not effective in small amounts. The new formulation is deemed more efficient without this ingredient.
- Stimulate serotonin production
- Improve outlook and mood
- Support healthy sleep patterns
- Natural formula for a balanced life
In modern society, many people experience a low level of stress almost continuously. Long term stress can induce a constant flow of the stress hormone cortisol when it really isn't needed and the results can be toxic. Your body has to work hard to counter the effects of elevated cortisol levels, resulting in digestive disorders, leaving you more susceptible to disease.
Stress can contribute to a lack of quality sleep, which can cause weight gain, decrease your energy, raise your blood pressure, and increase the risk of heart disease. It can suppress your immune system which can increase the risk of cancer and other diseases. And, working in a vicious circle, inadequate sleep can wreck your mood and ability to concentrate.
Maintaining a healthy mood by minimizing anxiety and getting an adequate amount of quality sleep is important to maintaining a balanced life.
Other Ingredients:Microcrystalline cellulose, vegetable cellulose (with chlorophyll), vegetable magnesium stearate, silicon dioxide and natural vanilla flavor (added for aroma).
CAUTION:Do not exceed recommended dose. Avoid driving or operating heavy machinery while taking this product. Not recommended for pregnant or nursing mothers or children under 18 years of age. Not for use by individuals with a known medical condition including liver disease, bipolar (manic)depression or anyone taking prescription medications including anti-depressants, anti-coagulants or MAO inhibitors. If you have questions about the advisability of taking this product, consult your physician prior to use.
WARNING:This product is manufactured and packaged in a facility which may also process milk, soy, wheat, egg, peanuts, fish and crustacean shellfish.
Dosage:Take one vegetarian capsule 1 to 2 times daily with meals as a dietary supplement, or as directed by your physician.
Ray & Terry's Mood/Sleep Support contains 60 vegetarian capsules per bottle.
Natural supplements can be helpful to promote healthy sleep patterns and maintain a positive outlook without the side effects that can accompany pharmaceutical methods. Ray & Terry's Mood & Sleep Support contains B vitamins, GABA, DMAE, 5-HTP, chamomile, and ashwagandha extract.
Deficiencies in various B vitamins can contribute to: tiredness, nervousness, irritability, occasional insomnia, and dizziness.1 In particular, B12 has been called an "anti-stress" vitamin because it is believed to enhance the activity of the immune system and improve the body's ability to withstand stressful conditions.2 Vitamin B12 deficiency has been linked to fatigue, irritability, and impaired memory.3Supplementation with Vitamin B12 may assist in increasing energy levels, improving mood, and fighting fatigue.4
GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid) is a key neurotransmitter that can act as a mild tranquilizer. This natural substance is non habit forming and is effective at relieving stress and maintaining a calm mood.5 GABA can cause drowsiness and can help promote better quality sleep.
DMAE (dimethylaminoethanol) is an organic compound related to choline and is a precursor to the neurotransmitter acetylcholine. Supplements containing DMAE have been observed both psychologically and physiologically to help improve outlook and mood.6
5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) is an amino acid produced in the body and involved in nervous system health.7 Vitamin B6 works with 5-HTP to synthesize serotonin, an important neurotransmitter also affecting mood and sleep patterns.8
Herbs such as Chamomile and Ashwagandha help promote healthy sleep patterns and aid in relaxation. Chamomile has been shown to create a mild sedative effect and is often used to ease anxiety.9
The Improved Formula:
- Now in a vegetarian capsule
- St. John's Wort was removed as current research indicates it is not effective for mood management
- 5-HTP is very effective, so we increased the amount per capsule
- Due to recent research, we reduced the folic acid content to avoid excess when combining with other formulas
- Niacinamide was reduced to minimize flushing and other concerns
- Valerian root was replaced with Ashwagandha extract, an effective and odorless herb
- Wardlaw, Gordon M.; Hampl, Jeffrey S.; and Disilvestro, Robert A. (2004). Perspectives in Nutrition, 6th edition. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- AnnNY Acad Sci 1990;585: pp.513-5
- Whitney, Eleanor Noss, and Rolfes, Sharon Rady (2002). Understanding Nutrition,9th edition. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth/Thomson Learning
- Neuropsychopharmacology (1996) 15 456-464. Mayer, G. et al.
- Curr Opin Pharmacol. (February 2006). 6(1): 7-17. "Glutamate- and GABA-based CNS therapeutics." Foster AC, Kemp JA.
- Eur J Med Res. 2003 May 30;8(5):183-91. "Efficacy of dimethylaminoethanol (DMAE) containing vitamin-mineral drug combination on EEG patterns in the presence of different emotional states." Dimpfel W, Wedekind W, Keplinger I.
- Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2002;(1):CD003198. "Tryptophan and 5-hydroxytryptophan for depression." Shaw K, Turner J, Del Mar C.
- Science. 2003 Jul 18;301(5631):386-9. "Influence of life stress on depression: moderation by a polymorphism in the 5-HTT gene." Caspi A, Sugden K, Moffitt TE, Taylor A, Craig IW, Harrington H, McClay J, Mill J, Martin J, Braithwaite A, Poulton R.
- Biol Pharm Bull. 2005 May;28(5):808-10. "Hypnotic activities of chamomile and passiflora extracts in sleep-disturbed rats." Shinomiya K, Inoue T, Utsu Y, Tokunaga S, Masuoka T, Ohmori A, Kamei C.